Thursday, November 26, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving from LeftOvers4Dinner on the La Luz Trail

Happy Thanksgiving from the top of the mountains!  Okay, maybe not the top, maybe like, the half-way point, but you get the drift!

It's been an interesting and tough year, and Thanksgiving is the Holiday where I really get reflective and think about how life has been.  I'm very grateful for my little furry friends Bender Oak and Pepper Willow, being able to visit all these weird/interesting places, and my closest friends/family that have supported me this year.

I'm also grateful for....The Internet.  Yep.  If it weren't for the internet, I'd probably be labeled some sort of weird Hiking Hermit (gonna write that down, that's a good name for a blog).  I miss being in North Carolina with awesome folks, but I've got a few really good friends out here that make the Southwest less miserable.
 

Me and the dogs knew the weather wasn't going to be great, so we carried a very simple snack (from the Dollar Store) to celebrate Thanksgiving on the La Luz Trail. Can't get more simple than protein (Peanut Butter) and carbs (graham crackers). We ate, drank, and tried to be merry, though Pepper wasn't feeling it:
 
But all in all, we had a great time just doing what we love. Getting away from "the noise" of everyday life, and instead listening to the birds singing, the wind picking up and howling through the valleys, and the quiet of just being.  I think it's the overwhelming "unsilence" of nature that makes me want to be here all the time.

I wish everyone well, and hope you have a simple, quiet, and truly awesome Thanksgiving!