Tuesday, December 29, 2015

My Drive the day after Winter Storm Goliath

Had to drive today. Not that thrilled about it. The contrast of freezing temp and direct sunlight make for interesting conditions on the roads.

It's already freezing cold outside. But then the higher elevation means this area is closer to the sun, and stuff starts to melt.  But then as the water starts to melt and evaporate, it gets caught up in the cold air.  I'm not sure if this is just really bad fog, or a low laying cloud.  Either way, the lady at the gas station called this "Two Block Fog"....You CANNOT see past about a small town block or so.  It took forever to find the gas station since I don't know my way around here.


Oh, and then there's THIS JERK (Below).  Just because you have 4WD, and just because you watch Top Gear, doesn't mean you're safe.  The truck may be built for winter weather, but your brain AIN'T.  He whooshed past me at 10 ABOVE the actual speed limit here.  Everyone else was going 10 below the posted limit.

I really, really, really didn't want to go anywhere today, but after running the necessary errand, I realized I needed to get gas, and that was the 2nd most terrifying part of my drive.  This was a popular gas station, but it was nearly empty since most people aren't on the roads right now.  Most of the parking lot was straight ice, and then it hit me how much I don't like winter weather.  

I fell on the ice a few years back, and fell so hard I hurt my back a little and had bruises on my back, my butt, and my knee.  But what I didn't realize was the fact the fall made me dazed.  I guess I hit my head.  These days, people talk about the importance of seeing a doctor if you may have had a concussion.  I don't know if I had one, but I do know I ended up with one of the worst headaches I had ever experienced, but everyone else didn't know about it or just chalked it up to me complaining about the winter weather.


So here I am, nearing the rural part of New Mexico, and barely enough money in my pocket to get gas, much less go to the emergency room.  And of course the pumps wouldn't accept my card.  You better bet it took me almost a full minute and a half to walk from the pump to the gas station.  

Sometimes I think the universe just sets booby traps at random all over the place just hoping I'll fall in.

I had a relatively safe drive back to Rio Rancho, until I got to the North Hills.  I turned onto a road called Pine and it was just straight ice.  I had the truck in 4wd High, and slugged along at 10-15mph since the whole dang road is on a curve.  I had one more turn to make.  And of course, I had to put the gas on since that turn was on a hill.  Made the turn, and then proceeded to slide through a stop sign and sideways down the street for about 5 feet.  Hyperventilating as an adult is embarassing.